Monday, November 01, 2004

GRASS ROOTS EFFORT

I was walking around Fenway Park, today at lunchtime, and I noticed Gate C was wide open and I could see the field through the centerfield "garage." They were ripping up the old turf in order to put in a better drainage system, according to the security guard on duty. Somehow, I finnagled to get a chunk of the centerfield sod. I got a great idea as to how to preserve it, from my boss and I went out and bought some acrylic
casting solution in order to embed some small chunks of turf in a clear paperweight type of molding. If it works, I'll get a little plaque attaced to one molding, that says "Fenway Park 11-1-04" and I'll save it for my son's trophy shelf.

As I look at the sod, I am left to wonder what playoff moments are worn into its sod? Perhaps Johhny Damon tracked down a ball and had to peddle across this patch of grass...or perhaps David Ortiz 14th inning game winning single in game 5 against the Yankees bounded upon these blades? No matter what, I feel like I have a unique chunk of history, that will take its place in my mind and on my shelf along with the lonely Boston Garden brick I snuck from the construction site a few years ago. Worthless to most, but to me, they hold a lifetime of memories at my fingertips!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?