Thursday, October 28, 2004

RED SOX WIN 2004 WORLD SERIES!!!!! REALLY!

Wow,
Unbelievable! The Red Sox finsished off their magical ride and ESRUC EHT DESREVER (aka REVERSED THE CURSE)
and won the 2004 WORLD SERIES last night! I still can nOT believe it. I keep pinching myself. And who would have guessed that they'd sweep the Cardinals, who had the best record in baseball this year? Derek Lowe was phenominal and keith Foulke closed the game to put the exclamation point on the season. It seemed like Foulke pitched in every game of the playoffs and pitched, like, 100 innings. He was immense! The Sox were immense! Now I can die in peace! I wrote an email and sent it to a couple of the Sox Exec's. It goes something like this:
"What a difference a year makes! After game 7, a year ago, it took me over 2 hours to console my, then ,11 year old son after Aaron Boone's homerun. At that moment, we connected. He was me, back in 1975 when I was 12 and the Sox lost 4-3 in game 7 to the Reds.
Then, last week, I changed up my "silly" game watching ritual in the 9th inning, to hold my, now, 12 year old son Trevor's hand. As the last out was made, we lept up out of our seats, still holding hands, then he jumped into my arms, wrapped his arms and legs around me and squeezed me as hard as he could. Thats when I noticed the sobs, the warm tears dripping onto my shoulders and arms. I stood there, holding him for over 5 minutes as we soaked in the reality of situation. I finally eased him down and just hugged him for another few minutes, before his mother summoned him off to bed.

As I drove him to school this morning, I asked him if he was alright last night. I asked if he cried because he was so happy. And he said "yes, partly..." But then he told me he cried out of joy for me. He cried for the stories of how close my Grandfather and I were because of our love for the Sox and the stories of my Dad dusting me off after being pushed around by kids in in our neighborhood because I was a Sox fan, living in Long Island at the time. He cried because of how much passion he knew I had and for the pains I endured, whether sitting in right field at the 1978 Bucky Dent game, watching in horror in 1986 or watching together the collapse in last year's game 7 against NY. He concluded that he also cried because he was happy that we went to game 5 against NY together, the most intense game (of over 1,000 that I ever witnessed in person!) and finally that "I got to watch the Red Sox win the World Series...with you!" WOW! Heaven isn't an Iowa cornfield...THIS IS HEAVEN...my son in my arms, forever etched in my memory...HEAVEN! An already incredible moment to me already (as a devout Sox fan!), this moment with my son was ONE OF THE GREATEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE! Thank you!
And THANK YOU all for your hard work and for helping to bridge the gap; the gap between us and our grandparents and parents, long since passed away...and most of all for the connection with our kids!"

My thoughts were with my Grandfather, my Father and my Mother, all who have passed on and then with my brothers, who shared I so many Sox moments with and finally to my family. What a momentous moment, in my life, our life!

I BELIEVED!



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?